How to Use a PS3 Camera on PC. The PlayStation Eye (trademarked PLAYSTATION Eye) is a digital camera device, similar to a webcam, for the PlayStation 3. The technology uses computer vision and gesture recognition to process images taken by the camera. This allows players to interact with games using motion and color detection as well as sound through its built-in microphone array. It is the successor to the EyeToy for the PlayStation 2, which was released in 2003.
The PlayStation Eye was also released as a stand-alone product in the United States, Europe, and Australia. EyeToy designer Richard Marks stated that the EyeToy was used as a model for the rough cost design. The device is succeeded by PlayStation Camera for PlayStation 4.
A webcam allows a person to stand in front of a computer and visually communicate with the world. There are a number of companies that make webcams for computers, but PlayStation 3 owners who have the PS3 EyeToy have the advantage of a webcam that includes motion-sensing technology. The PS3 EyeToy camera can be used on a computer, provided that special drivers have been installed. The procedure only takes a few minutes to do, and it will not damage the EyeToy camera or the computer.
Here is How to Use a PS3 Camera on PC
- Click the Windows “Start” menu, select “Control Panel,” choose “Hardware and Sound” and click the “Device Manager” link under the Devices and Printers section.
- Plug the USB cable from the PS3 EyeToy camera into a USB port on the computer. Click “Cancel” if a dialog box appears.
- Find the PS3 EyeToy camera in the Device Manager under “Imaging devices” with an exclamation mark by it. Note whether the PS3 EyeToy camera is listed as being the Logitech or Namtai model.
- Download and unzip to the desktop the PS3 EyeToy camera driver that is appropriate for the model that was listed (see Resources).
- Right-click on the PS3 EyeToy camera that is listed in the Device Manager. Select “Update Driver” from the pop-up menu. Wait while the hardware update wizard runs.
- Follow the prompts to install the drivers. Browse to the appropriate PS3 EyeToy camera driver that was downloaded when the wizard indicates that it is time to do so. Click the “Finish” button to quit the wizard when it has completed the installation.
- Restart the computer and use the PS3 EyeToy camera as a webcam on the PC.